Wednesday, May 13, 2015

3 of 12

Today was the third of the TH infusions.  Kathlynn was my chemo buddy again and we had a yummy lunch (ok, we both ordered breakfast) at Simple Cafe before chemo.  That was good so we had a chance to visit, since I just do not do well with Benadryl and so as soon as the meds kick in, I'm pretty spacey and out of it.

Counts were good. :)  So good, in fact, that I don't have to see Dr. Shah next week (unless something strange happens)--just the nurses.  I follow-up with Dr. Shah in two weeks.

Platelets: 115 thou/mcL (WOOT!)
Abs # neut:  3.3 thou/mcL
WBC: 4.4 thou/mcL
Hemoglobin 10.0 gm/dL

I still have the same weepy eyes, drippy nose, sore throat stuff.  I'm hoping to get to Costco to pick up generic Allegra to try.  Fingers crossed!  I know that environmental/seasonal allergies have been really bad for a lot of people, so it could just be that, or it could be that exacerbated by the chemo.  

New, fun side effect:  chemo brain
I'd been warned about this one, but I thought I was doing pretty well.  My desk is littered with post-it notes, but what seems to be the worse is when I'm interrupted while doing one task to do another.  I completely forgot to send an email last week that I could have sworn I sent. Turns out I didn't even WRITE it (other than in my head).  I'm also having trouble searching for exactly the words that I need.  This is perhaps the scariest of the side-effects for me.  I'm working on compensating (post-its and lists and emails to myself!) and being much more aware of the fact that I can't trust myself to remember anything.

And the exhaustion continues to build.  I think the chemo timing is pretty good, as I get it on Wednesday, am good on Thursday (thank you, steroids!) and Friday, then very tired over the weekend, but by Monday am good during the day and just tired at night.  Still, the every-week chemo seems to be kicking my butt a bit worse than the "nasty" stuff I had every two weeks.  Exhaustion can lead to depression, and I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this past week.  It has been rainy and cold in Milwaukee and that doesn't help, either.  Amazing how a beautiful, sunny day like today helped.  Spring flowers are blooming all over the place--even my lilac is almost there:


I'm just happy to be on my temporary steroid-induced power boost.  I'll take it while it lasts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment