Friday, April 10, 2020

Prepping for the next steps--whatever they are

I've been getting by, day by day. My "quarantine" has now lasted for 138 days, with no end in sight. My blood counts have dropped, then gone up a bit, then down some more, but I have still managed to avoid any transfusions since January second. Always looking for silver linings!

I feel for my family and friends, stuck home (or at work) and trying to navigate everything differently with the appearance of COVID-19. For me, in many ways it's made my neutropenic quarantine easier. Greg, Ash & I aren't leaving the house except for doctor appointments (and socially-isolated exercise), so that reduces my fears of catching almost everything.  My doctor appointments are still stressful. Yesterday I spent an hour in a tiny room having an echocardiogram. The tech's face and mine were two feet apart almost that whole time. We both had masks on, but it also involved an awful lot of deep breathing in and out for the images. Ugh...

As far as what my next steps are, I'm not really sure. Since I fell out of remission, I will NOT be going to transplant this month, as was the original plan. I will be starting a clinical trial on April 20th. My appointments have populated my Froedtert app (there are currently THIRTY appointments on it).

The first big chunk of appointments include labs, infusions, appointments, and follow-up labs later that day for days 1-5 of the new chemo regimen. I get a bonus pre-clinical trial bone marrow biopsy this Monday (that will be my sixth). Then from April 20-24, I start my day at 7:40 every morning with labs, followed by chemo. I think I may get to go home for a few hours but then have to return at 3:30 every day for more labs because this new regimen is known to cause liver damage and they need to know right away if that's happening. (Hopefully my life-long minimal alcohol consumption will give me a leg up there!) After those five days, I have "chemo only" on Saturday and Sunday, and then we wait until May 1 to have another bone marrow biopsy, and get the results, which will show whether the new regimen put me back into remission or not.

However, I have to say that I feel comforted that, other than the delay, other plans for my transplant are still moving forward and re-scheduled. I am telling myself that if I were a lost cause, they'd tell me, "oh, we'll wait to re-schedule those." All of those appointments have been scheduled and if, by some miracle I achieve remission again after one round of the new regimen, and all other tests clear me, I'll be admitted to the hospital for ablative chemo on May 13, with a new transplant date of May 19.

After having a few extra tubes of blood drawn on Monday for the clinical trial, I was surprised that my Thursday lab had thirteen tubes. EEK! But the extra tubes were for my pre-transplant work-up! Doesn't this kind of look like a bouquet?



I have already had a meeting (via phone) with the social workers--who are both AWESOME! Seriously, they have been wonderful with providing resources on grants for cancer patients, resources on things like discussions to have with your medical power of attorney, and support in applying for social security disability. All the things that I was searching for when I was first diagnosed in November were provided to me electronically. If only I'd known back then, I wouldn't have had to struggle so much with figuring out all the financials.

Which brings me to my other down side of the week. As of yesterday, I am completely unemployed. Though I knew it was coming, I didn't realize just how hard writing the words, "I resign from my role as Public Health Manager, effective April 9, 2020" would be. I'm still struggling with the loss of my identity as a public health professional, although I've not really WORKED as one since late November. It just hit me harder than I'd hoped. I plan to keep up with as much as I can, which right now is all COVID-19, all the time. :)

And it's a third of the way through #30daysofbiking, and despite social distancing restrictions, I've biked outside every day this month so far. Greg's been a champ, accompanying me on almost every ride. I need to keep my heart and muscles strong for whatever is ahead.


2 comments:

  1. I have to remind myself that the work does not define me...Brian continually helps me with that. I see and understand the job struggle, Lori, but remind you that you are so much more. And in every blog you write, you teach us, and carry on being a public health teacher. “Work” comes in many forms, and is not to be counted by the hours or the numbers or the pay or our own definition of it. As we reflect on the legacies we will leave, you have three great ones and a lot more beyond that. (From your older middle aged friend❤️).
    Keep fighting the good fight my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I know those purple and yellow vials well..

    But 13 is a lot!

    ReplyDelete