Monday, July 6, 2020

Day +61

I had a good appointment with the PA today. Not necessarily good in terms of news, but good in terms of me feeling better about things and getting some clarification. Katie also reminded me that I can call at any time with questions. I know that, but it really makes a big difference for a provider to tell a patient that. I felt listened to, and like my concerns were addressed very well.

My blood counts have tanked.
WBC: 0.9 (normal 3.9-11.2)
ANC: 0.52 (normal 1.9-7.8)
HGB: 8.3 (normal 11.3-15.1)
PLT: 13K (normal 165K-366K)
But this is expected, as I just finished a round of chemo. (Hooray! I finished a round of chemo!) Post-BMT the thresholds are different for transfusion, so I don't need platelets until 10K and RBC till 7.5. But my counts are close enough that I get to go in for labs TWICE more this week (Wednesday and Friday).

My blood chemistries are great (despite not being able to eat or drink much all weekend). My chimerism results from last month showed that (a month ago) my blood was 91% donor blood (CD33+) and 86% donor immune system (CD3+). I think those are "good" but not necessarily "great" levels. The remainder of that 9% donor blood is likely being produced by the persistent leukemic cells. Grrrr!

Despite being completely off the Tacrolimus (immune suppressant) for a week, I haven't yet shown any signs of graft vs. host disease (GVHD).

In bone marrow transplant circles the first 100 days is, as I'd mentioned before, a date before most of the risky immune stuff happens, and everyone looks forward to Day +100. Since I have had to go off the Tacrolimus and am back on chemo, I was wondering if my 100 days re-sets. (I seem to worry about the wrong things, but I like hitting milestones.) Katie said that the 90-100 day mark is relatively arbitrary, but is the point where most transplant patients have their first disease checkup (ie: first bone marrow biopsy, extra lab work, etc.) and when they wean off immune suppression and antifungals. I'm already off the immune suppression (unless I develop GVHD--then I'll go back on) and as long as I don't develop GVHD, I should be able to stop the fluconazole and ursodiol. (Bactrim still goes till the 6 months point.)

I asked about masks and if I can safely wear a cloth mask when biking or walking outside (the paper ones get hot when exercising) and she laughed and said, "in pre-COVID times you wouldn't have to wear a mask outside at all--just don't bike on dirt trails!" (Stupid COVID!) Guess I'll be pulling out the sewing machine again this week.

As for the leukemia part, I also got some additional clarification. In addition to the three levels of bone marrow biopsies previously mentioned, my team also sent out an additional myeloid malignancy panel. Unfortunately it showed that the p53 mutation is still there. As Katie said, since I went into my transplant with MRD, they are not terribly surprised that I came out of it with MRD, too. (Disappointed, but not surprised.) So I will continue on the Decitabine chemo until it no longer works. Overall, I tolerated my first round pretty well. The first four days were super easy (no pre-meds!), and by day 5 I was a bit more tired and had Greg drive me. This weekend I was back to having no appetite and struggling to eat or drink anything (and to keep my pills down). Today I seem to be mostly back to normal, so three days of yuck aren't too bad.
Greg got to come with for chemo for the first time in MONTHS!


In addition to the Decitabine, if my donor is willing, we will get lymphocytes from her, and I'll get them in three batches--each 2 weeks after a Decitabine cycle. This donor lymphocyte infusion (DLI) may cause some GVHD (which might require me to be back on the tacrolimus and/or steroids), but it might also beat back the remaining leukemic cells in my marrow.

I finally just came right out and asked Katie how scared I should be with all that we now know. I reminded her that I'm the kind of person who functions really well at overcoming difficult tasks when I know what I'm up against and when I have an end point in sight. She told me that, with leukemia and especially with leukemia with a p53 mutation, that's just not possible. She can't give me survival percentages or predicted lengths of time. Even though there are factors that make people more or less likely to relapse, they're not certainties and some people do amazingly well despite being presented with "unfavorable" outcome probabilities. On the other hand, some people hit all the perfect milestones and then die from something completely unforeseen. Basically she told me that we just have to take this week by week. She reminded me that I am "only" on my third AML chemo, and there are others that can be used if need be. It made me instantly think of all my breast cancer sisters with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) who cycle (or cycled) through chemo after chemo. Some of them work for years. Some for only a few months. But as my MBC sisters have all said, every month you're kept alive by one chemo is another month for researchers to find the next, better chemo. One month at a time...

I'm resigning myself to being an awesome bone marrow transplant patient, but a really crappy leukemia patient. Given my competitive nature, I guess I'm glad that I'm kicking butt in one of the two. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment