Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Three down!

Today was my third AC (Adriamycin & Cytoxan) infusion.  I was afraid it might not happen, since I am still somewhat battling this awful cold.  And it almost didn't happen--but not because of my cold. Dr. Shah looked at my blood tests and was happy with my white counts (4.5 thou/mcL; abs. neut. 2.5 thou/mcL) and my hemoglobin (11.0 gm/dL), but my platelets are low again (58 thou/mcL).  They're so low that she hemmed and hawed about whether to decrease the chemo concentration (less effective) or delay this round (boo!).  Finally, she decided that because I am handling everything else so well, and I have a history of low platelets, and am on the borderline for dangerous levels, she'd keep the same treatment and just add another day of dexamethasone (oh, yay--prolonged steroid munchies!).  I have to be extra diligent about bleeding, bruising, bumping and if I have any of those, or unusual headaches, go straight to the ER.  In addition, I have to go back next week to have my CBC checked to make sure the platelets haven't gone dangerously low.  (The first round of chemo, I started at 107 and dropped to 34 at the one week mark, so starting at 58 could potentially drop me into the danger zone at one week.)  The AC chemo is the "big guns" so I really want to be able to get all four treatments in at full strength.  The next 12 rounds won't be quite as nasty and hopefully my body will tolerate them better.  Since the biggest side-effect of this first set seems to be the blood counts, I'm hopeful that it won't be an issue (or at least not as big of an issue) when I move onto the TH (Taxol & Herceptin).  I appreciate all high-platelet vibes sent my way.


Cara was my chemo companion today, so I got to show her off to the staff.
We played a little cribbage, and just like her brother did last time, she allowed me to win.  We decided that my chemo-induced super power seems to be winning at cribbage, and thought that was a rather lame super power, except that with great power comes great responsibility, and this is a minor power, so minor responsibility.  That's fine, too.  :)
I'm getting a little braver about going bald in front of people.  I got warm during chemo and took off my cap (although I certainly was not the only bald person in the chemo center, so I'm not sure that really counts).  I also tried on a hat at H&M outside of the dressing room.  And when my father-in-law was here for Grandparents' Day at Mira's school and commented about no one wanting to imitate his hairdo, I didn't even pause before whipping off my hat to show him that I saw his hairdo and raised the bar!  
And tonight Cara's roommate Ellie came over, and she and Cara (with a little help from Mira) tattooed my head with henna.  The henna has to stay on for hours (until it flakes off) and the final design will be lighter, but here's some pics from the henna application.












~~~~~
In other "normal" news, I worked a 10 hour day yesterday for the first time since finishing Grad School.  I was tired at the end of the day, but I did it!  And I think I was at least mostly there brain power-wise.  


~~~~~
And we found a wonderful woman named Selenia who is going to be staying with Mom to help do the little things that Mom's not able to do on her own.  We're all pretty excited about her moving in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment