Sunday, March 29, 2015

Decemberists!

On November 19th, before even discovering the lump in my breast, I ordered tickets to see The Decemberists in concert.  My friends Margaret and Tim introduced me to The Decemberists, and they became the soundtrack by which I wrote my prelims for my doctoral degree.  Since that time, I patiently waited until they toured and came to Milwaukee, so I was beyond excited when they released a new album and began a new tour, with a Milwaukee stop.  

I knew I'd be in the midst of chemo when the concert arrived, and was afraid I wouldn't be able to attend.  The concert became somewhat of a symbol of me continuing on with my life and not letting cancer interrupt it too much.  Therefore, when I caught a cold this last weekend, I was very worried that it would screw up my plans.

Luckily, this was an off-week for chemo, and so I stayed home all day Wednesday, napping and keeping hydrated.  My temperature stayed in the 99's all day and I got a reluctant go-ahead from the nurse to drug myself up and attend.  Thanks to Dayquil and a Mountain Dew Kickstart, I was off!

We had a fun dinner at Cubanita's, and then the concert.  Opening act Alvvays was pretty good, and The Decemberists were AWESOME!
They played a lot from the new album (which I like), although not all the songs I would have liked to hear.  And they did a great job dipping back into the older stuff. "The Crane Wife 3" and "The Island" were really good, but I think my favorite section was what they called the dark section of the concert where they played "The Wanting Comes in Waves," "Repaid," and "The Rake's Song" from "The Hazards of Love."

It was completely worth drugging myself up.  :)

~~~~~

Thursday was a bit rough.  I woke up with a fever again, so worked from home in the morning to make sure things didn't get any worse.  I did make it in for the afternoon, although that's when my cough appeared, too.  

Thursday night was truly awful, but my fever broke overnight and I think I can safely say (fingers crossed) that this is now just a cold.  I actually sound much worse, as my voice is laryngitis-y and I'm coughing a lot, but I feel much much better.  Best of all, no fever!

~~~~~

And better yet, Cara is home for her spring break.  She came home with a cold, too, but after some good sleep, she's on the mend, too.  Yesterday was her 20th birthday, and I spend time alternating between wondering where the last 20 years went, and not being able to imagine my life before she was in it.  We have lots of plans for this week while she's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment