Tuesday, July 5, 2016

No clearance for work yet.

I had my one-week follow-up appointment with the plastic surgeon this afternoon.  It was originally scheduled for 1:15, and my plan was to see him, get cleared to return to work, and then run into work to pick up my computer and work from home at least a few days this week.  His office called and said he was running late due to a surgery, and switched my appointment to 3:30, so I went to work first and picked up my computer.

Then I was terribly annoyed (and disappointed) to learn that I'm not cleared to return to work yet.

The handout that we got after my surgery was one brief page, and the post-op nurse was a bit annoyed that she didn't have any written discharge instructions, so Greg and I are pretty certain that we had NOT been told that I was supposed to barely move my right arm this first week.  In fact, I was making it a point to use that arm (within comfort--never doing anything painful) so that it wouldn't end up cording again like it had after every other procedure I've had on my right side.  Apparently since my implant is textured, every time I move, the tissue rubs on the textured part of the implant, and oozes fluid.  No wonder I'm still putting out so much in my drains.  Sigh.

I know it is a minor thing in the scheme of things.  Healing is most important and everything looks good.  Bruising is decreasing and there's no signs of infection.  But this is a truly sucky way to spend one of my two weeks of vacation from work.  And I have to re-fill my antibiotic (stinky Sulfa drug) prescription since I still have a drain.  And I *swear* I'm an excellent patient and I would remember if he had told me not to move my arm!

Only now did I get the full description of what I cannot do while I'm healing.  Basically, for 8 weeks, I can't do much of anything.  No aerobic exercise, no carrying anything over 5/10/15/20 lbs. (increasing each two weeks), no stretching over my head.  I can walk, though.  That's encouraged, so I'm open for walk buddies. 

It's really all fine--I just want to get back to normal.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment