Saturday, July 9, 2016

Shower = heaven

I saw Dr. Sterkin yesterday for my 10-day follow-up and to get my right side drain out.  Hooray!  That meant I could shower today, and I did.  It was the best shower ever.  :)  Seriously, if you want to feel absolutely amazing, just go 11 days without showering or washing your hair and then shower.  Instant anti-depressant!

I was even able to work two hours yesterday afternoon.  Two hours was almost enough time to get through my emails from missing 8 1/2 days of work.  It felt really good to be back.

The guidelines to recover from this surgery are pretty intense.  And they've made me more than a little cranky.  In addition to not being able to resume exercise for 8 weeks, I can't reach above my head, or sleep on my side, and I have to wear Spanx so that the uneven fat harvested from my belly settles evenly and not in furrows, like it is now.   I also need a firm, supportive bra to insure that my breasts don't end up all lumpy, too. Seriously, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose elective cosmetic surgery like this.  I'm second-guessing my own vain-ness in wanting reconstructed breasts instead of just going with prostheses.  I would have been "done" a long time ago.  I also just learned that there's not anyone in the area who does nipple tattoos (Dr. Sterkin only does them in combination with nipple reconstruction, which I am NOT doing), so if that's what I want (a 3D nipple tattoo like here or here), I'll have to travel.  Probably also have to pay for it, as opposed to having insurance cover it if I did nipple reconstruction, too.  As someone close to me said, "it comes down to how much you want to pay for nipples that I'm assuming only a handful of people will ever see."  Guess it's time to really think about what else I could/should get tattooed there.  And to search for a good tattoo artist...

As for now, I have all my stitches out (just steri-strips left) and I'm packed into Spanx like a sausage.  But I dare say I smell quite a bit better.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment