Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Quick Update + Bone Marrow Transplant Info

A quick check-in, as I have completed 3 of 7 Vidaza infusions, the first 3 Venclexta doses, and all three 2-hour fluid infusions (yay!). I'm feeling okay overall, although I leave the infusion center feeling just generally icky, and am happy to head home, eat, take meds, and sleep. In the morning I'm mostly better, although my left knee continues to be getting more painful, despite the exercises I'm doing to strengthen it.

My counts are still on the upswing, and I have to think that that's good. From days 1-3:
WBC--2.8, 2.8, 2.9 (normal 3.9-11.2)
ANC--1.61, 1.86, 1.94 (normal 1.9-7.8)
HGB--8.8, 8.8, 8.8 (normal 11.3-15.1)
PLT--59K, 68K, 72K (normal 165-366K)

And my creatinine levels, which measure the impact of the Venclexta on my kidneys (which would be caused by tumor lysis syndrome), have been in the normal range. Hooray!


Now a bit about bone marrow transplants.

To be honest, I haven't thought an awful lot about the transplant, because the doctors at St. Luke's stressed that it wasn't "when I had a transplant" but "IF I had a transplant." Without remission, there is no transplant, and so I didn't really look much into the future. But now that my bone marrow is at least somewhat cooperating, the likelihood of a transplant is much more real.

My friend Bernie sent this five minute TED video on bone marrow transplants and I think it does an excellent job of explaining the basics behind transplant.




In order to actually move to transplant, I do need to achieve remission (including the genetic abnormalities), and to find a suitable donor who is healthy, willing and able to donate at a time when I can receive the donation. I am alternately impatient to get the transplant going as soon as possible, and terrified of the transplant, as there are so many risks associated with it--several of them fatal. 


Finally, I also wanted to share the actual flyers for the two local Bone Marrow Drives coming up. Please feel free to share them with people who you know that might be able to attend either of them.


UW-Milwaukee at Waukesha
Tuesday, February 4
11:30-1:00
4:30-6:00







Oak Creek City Hall
Thursday, February 13 
10:00-1:00


And if you're not local, or can't make it to either drive, you can always request a kit to be mailed to you at: join.bethematch.org/LorisLegion or by texting LorisLegion to 61474. If you do it, I'd love to see a selfie of you swabbing your cheek. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment