Wednesday, June 10, 2015

7 of 12

Today I'm solidly over the half-way mark for "Baby Chemo" (as Dr. Shah calls it).
My labs were good:
Platelets: 108 thou/mcL 
WBC: 3.3 thou/mcL

Abs. neut: 2.3 thou/mcL
Hemoglobin 10.2 gm/dL

Bailey was my chemo companion, and we had a great time catching up over pizza at Ian's and at the Cancer Center until the Benadryl overtook me and I fell asleep.



There's not much new to add, except that the little things are bugging me and I am (definitely) growing weary of this whole thing.  I talked to Dr. Shah about some of the little things and she said that the pain I've been feeling in my fingertips is actually one of the possible manifestations of peripheral neuropathy.  That's a common side-effect with lots of chemotherapies, and so we will watch that to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Beyond that, I'm still so very tired...  I gave in and took a nap last Friday afternoon when I got home from a half day of work.  It refreshed me so much that I did the same on Saturday and Sunday!  And then I brought a sleeping bag to work just in case...  Didn't use it, but it's nice to know it's there.  I think I might do better spending part of my lunch hour napping than eating.  :)   Everyone (Dr. Shah and those who have been through this cancer journey) tells me it will only get worse as the chemo continues--and into the radiation.  

It's interesting because I have only started to lose my eyebrows (and eyelashes) since being on the Taxol (second set of chemo).  However, I've noticed over the last few weeks (since being on Taxol) that I've got peach fuzz growing on my head (and, unfortunately, my face).  Dr. Shah said that some people start growing hair again with Taxol since it's milder than the AC (original chemo).  I can't tell if it's blond or gray, but it's definitely lighter than my natural hair color.


And I now have a second friend to be diagnosed with breast cancer after me.  I know it's going to keep happening, but it's still shocking.

~~~~~
Additionally, I have some Mom stuff to share.  It's now been a little over a week with a 24/7 live-in.  I think it's going well, and I can certainly say that I'm feeling less stressed, knowing that someone is there for her and I don't have to worry that at least one of us will be home every hour of every day.


Also, Mom had a brain MRI today and it came back clean!  That's about 2 1/2 years since the brain mets were discovered and since her brain surgery.  Definitely reason to celebrate! (If only I had the energy to do so ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment