Wednesday, June 17, 2015

8 of 12

(I think I have a formula down for these posts... hope they've not become as boring to read as a Danielle Steel novel...)

Today I felt so lucky--my chemo companion came all the way from California!  This is my dear friend Sam, who was one of my first students at my second job after graduation many years ago.  We got lunch at Whole Foods, and then caught up on the last <ahem> few years of our lives.  She might get me to join Instagram yet...




My labs were fine.  
Platelets: 93 thou/mcL 
WBC: 3.2 thou/mcL
Abs. neut: 2.1 thou/mcL
Hemoglobin 10.1 gm/dL
 



My hair seems to be doing very contradictory things.  For example, my eyebrows are almost totally gone, and I am *terrible* at drawing them in.  Eyelashes are leaving, too.




The other thing that's unbelievably annoying is the loss of my nose hair.  I never gave much thought to what function nose hairs served, but I can tell you that my allergies are in full swing and I now know what nose hairs do...   (I'm continually clutching a kleenex now)


However, I'm doing pretty well growing the peachfuzz on my head.  I came home today and immediately pulled off my scarf (as I often do when I walk in the door) and Cara exclaimed, "you have a hairline!"  It's not a great photo, but I like how my hair kind of forms a glowing halo over my head here:




Finally, I got the coolest gift this week.  We have family friends who are halfway through a two year stay in Singapore.  They got me this print:



It says, "cancer sucks!"


This week my two recently-diagnosed friends have surgery.  One had a mastectomy (with reconstruction) on Monday and the other has a lumpectomy tomorrow.  It's been almost half a year since my surgery, but I can remember it all very clearly.  I'm thinking of those friends and hoping for the best, quickest, recovery possible.  I hope many of you will do the same with this week's good thoughts normally reserved for me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment