Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A slave to the numbers

I missed posting yesterday on the one week anniversary of my diagnosis (I'm kind of big with those kind of milestones--tomorrow will be the 5 year D-day/official diagnosis of my breast cancer). Man, the holiday season seems to suck for this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I've been settling into a sort of pattern. Everyone here is wonderful, but the fact of the matter is that there is a lot of interruption that must occur in the hospital, and especially on the oncology wing. The good news is that, as I've gotten more sleep-deprived, the hospital bed is less uncomfortable and I'm actually sleeping some. The weaning of the steroids has undoubtedly helped as well (I only got those before the three doses of Idarubicin).

I have always tracked my lab counts ad nauseam and one of the nurses here told me a few days ago which numbers I really need to track, and also said that she can get the results before they appear on my medical record that I can access myself. So they keep giving me my counts. I hope I'm understanding and correctly sharing the meaning of each, but I may have to edit.
Here's what they're following:

Total white blood cell count
Normal is 4.2-11.0
If below 1, it's a greatly-increased risk of infection
We want to see this go down, as it shows that the chemo is majorly messing up the bone marrow and keeping it from making white blood cells (infection fighters) which are what caused this overgrowth in the first place

Hemoglobin
Normal is 12-15.5
They will do a whole blood transfusion if it drops below 7.0
Hemoglobin is a protein that is responsible for making red blood cells carry oxygen to the cells (as all cells need oxygen). Low hemoglobin results in anemia. This will undoubtedly go down, so there will be transfusions in my future. I've never had one, but apparently they do make you feel better when you get one.

Platelets
Normal is 140K-450K, but mine have never been that high
They will do a platelet transfusion if it drops below 10K
Platelets are responsible for clotting of the blood, and so it's important to have enough to clot if anything internal or external causes a bleed. As I get more exhausted, falling is more likely (ie: could bleed internally) and I have so many things connected to my skin that external bleeds are also more likely. I did need one platelet transfusion after my mastectomy, and I guess I handled it fine.

Absolute neutrophils
Normal is 1.8-7.7
They call it neutropenic if I drop below 1.5, and exercise additional precautions, including putting me on a prophylactic antibiotic.
Neutrophils are the first line of defense in an infection, so something that would normally be fought off by a healthy person (ie: ear infection) can almost immediately become septic. It may be an overabundance of caution, but I've chosen, with my team's support, to require everyone to mask up now that my levels are low even if they don't have symptoms. It's just not worth the risk.




Blast percentage
Normal is 1-5% in bone marrow, but none in blood
Blasts are partially-differentiated hematopoietic stem cells that populate the white blood cell (infection-fighting) line. In leukemia, they divide uncontrolled (cancer thing) and fill up the bone marrow, preventing effective blood cells of all types to be formed. In leukemia they also spill out into the blood and can be viewed and measured that way. That's how my initial diagnosis at Dr. Shah's office was made. There should be under 5% blasts at any time, and more than 20% are sufficient to diagnose that some sort of leukemia is happening. Mine were 30% in Dr. Shah's office.

So I've been tracking my numbers and while my blasts were trending downward, yesterday they took an uptick, which completely freaked me out. Being mostly stuck in a hospital bed with only your own thoughts (and the internet) is not a great way to be reasonable. Suffice to say that my blasts had gotten down to 2% and then yesterday shot up to 14% (thus the panic) but are heading back down, being 12% today. And that's what we want because it means that the chemo is working. If you want to visualize or vibe or pray, feel free to work on dropping those blasts!

But Dr. Thompson was happy that the other blood counts are all about where they should be. He said an increase in WBC would not be good now, and they are definitely trending down. Neither my hemoglobin nor platelets were low enough for transfusions today--although it's always possible tomorrow. Slow and steady.

I had been able to sleep significantly more last night, and had a hard time waking up this morning. Then late this morning I could barely keep my eyes open. It's got to be the cell counts, and the absence of steroids. I had some people who were going to visit and I had to turn them away. My eyes were rolling back in my head I was so sleepy.

And as I was napping, I felt like I was running a fever. I have always had chills and body aches with low grade fevers since I was a kid. I wasn't sure whether to say or do anything because I was already getting antibiotic in my IV since my neutrophils had fallen so low. At routine vitals, it was found that I had a temperature over 100. It was explained that they'd watch, but if my temp got to 101.5, then the big guns/protections would be pulled in. I'd need blood cultures--from the port but also peripheral. I'd need a urinalysis. And then a chest X-ray--all to insure that the fever was from the chemo but not an infection. I was shivering and the nurses turned up the heat in the room and I put on some fuzzy socks and more blankets. I stopped shivering, but my temp eased up to 101.3. And an hour later, it was at 101.4. The nurse put in a call to the doctor to get things going. :( And then I pried myself out of bed and Greg walked me around the floor. It was tough to keep moving and I just wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed and sleep, but it worked. My temp went back down to 100.8 and just now it was 100.0. I have to remember there's a such thing as too warm!

Not much else to report. I feel like my brain is quite foggy and it's hard to hold a conversation, so if you do come visit, know that I may not make sense. I'm glad I started this blog post awhile before I crashed. I still don't know if I was correct in all that I wrote, but I hope it made a little sense.

Oh, the other big thing that happened today is that I was able to trash the Tele (EKG telemetry). Everyone has to be monitored for a little while, and I'd been doing pretty well but then I think I actually moved in a strange way and caused an irregular heartbeat (v-tach) and so I was kept on the Tele. I did create a game with it where I walk around the floor and whenever there is a display, I seek out my name and measurement and try to get it to settle down and have a normal pattern. After that, I started playing the 87 game--I'd breathe slowly and steadily to try to bring my heart rate down to 87 (because Class of 87 rules...). It broke up my walks.

but it also meant that I had six electrodes stuck to my chest and a heavy transponder to carry around with me. I was pretty happy to say goodbye to the Tele.


And I am almost 5 days into the 7 day chemo regimen. I know it'll be a little longer and it's possible it'll be a LOT longer, but I'm moving forward. Here's hoping those numbers stay/move where they are supposed to be, and I rebound at least a little bit in energy. For now, I think I'm going to take a 7:00 pm nap...

1 comment: