Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The plan, clarified

Monday I finally got to meet the new chair of the St. Luke's Hematological Oncology group: Dr. Medlin. I have heard so much good about him from all the staff. And he's great. Down-to-earth, answers questions at the level I've asked (he asked my background to clarify), positive, confident.

We spent time talking about the plan for my treatment, which didn't change from what others had told me, but which was clarified somewhat.

We started with induction chemo to get my body to go into remission. We will know if that was achieved (or at least the first step toward achieving it) when we get the results from Friday's bone marrow biopsy. So yes, the bone marrow biopsy will be done on Friday. Results will take a "few days." There are two goals:

  1. The bone marrow is essentially empty. We want less than 5% of cells within the bone marrow, which indicates that the chemo cleaned it all out.
  2. Of the cells left in the bone marrow, less than 5% of them are blasts (cancerous cells).
If both of these things are achieved, then stage one was effective and as soon as I can maintain counts and fluids and everything enough that I need only be seen on an outpatient basis, I can go home for a few weeks.

If either of these things are not achieved, then stage one was not effective and we need to do another, different round of induction chemo. This is the stage that makes my heart race. This would prevent me from being home for Christmas, and it would certainly be a "harder" chemo on my body, plus just an addition chemo in general. But Dr. Medlin did a great job of explaining why this is an important step and why, if this happens, it is not the worst possible thing. Previously, treatment involved this 7+3 chemo, then the rounds that follow (I'll get into that shortly), but they were not able to determine if the chemo was actually effective. So you'd go through the whole process and not even have received remission, which meant that it was not going to be effective. Adding this step, and the sensitivity that is now achievable, means that more people are in true remission and have better outcomes. I like better outcomes.

Next step, once that first round of remission is achieved, is to do four rounds of maintenance/consolidation. Dr. Medlin explained that, even when there may be no evidence of cancer cells, there are still likely as many as 10^12 cells in the body (the "undetectable level"). Much like how many breast or other solid tumor cancer patients may have surgery with clean margins and clean nodes, but still have chemo after, that is the purpose of the chemo.

And then we move on to the bone marrow transplant.  There are only three options for an allogenic donor:

  1. A full-match sibling, matching on 6 of 6 Human Leucocyte Antigens (HLAs)
  2. An unrelated perfect donor, matching on 10 of 10 HLAs
  3. A haplo-identical donor, like a child, matching on 5 of 10 HLAs
The reason you can use a half match with only 5 of 10 is that you'd only use a related haplo donor, and there are many other factors that aren't tested/matched on, but are also important and helpful in minimizing the likelihood and severity of graft vs. host disease (GVHD). These factors tend to clump together in familial lines, so while the third option is riskier, it can be done.

I'm trying not to think about the fact that finding a donor is an "if" and not necessarily a "when." There are certainly many people who do not find a donor by any of those three means. But I'm also hoping that karma, and all my wonderful loved ones who have recently signed up to "Be The Match" have someone or else on the other side of the world with just as many amazing loved ones signing up for them and somehow we'll all end up matched. 

As far as preparation for a bone marrow transplant, it is another chemo regimen of 5-7 days. Full body radiation is not usually used in AML (more often in ALL), so probably not necessary. And then the transplant itself is relatively simple--just like a blood transfusion. The hardest/worst part is waiting to see if it takes and how bad the GVHD is. I have decided not to look too far into that at this point.

---------

Other than that, I'm just keeping on here in Nadir-land. Still having the lovely GI issues. My new antibiotic (meropenen, since I developed that rash in response to the cephapine) seems to give me a headache. At least, both times I've received it, I've developed a headache at the base of my skull within a few minutes of the IV beginning. Last night I slept through most of it, but this morning it is still with me. Even a visit from massage therapy and some essential oils only slightly tamed it. 

With the new blood thresholds, I needed both blood and platelets last night, which made for a long night with all the vitals checks that they do before, during and after receiving blood product. This morning my counts were sufficient enough that I didn't need any product (WBC: 0.3; HGB: 8.3; PLT: 71K). Next draw is at 10:00 am and I'm crossing fingers that I'm holding onto things well enough to not need more. I don't know how long I'll be at these higher thresholds. Hopefully my own cells will start coming back soon and that will both decrease the need for the transfusions and prepare me for possible release from the hospital.

Whether it's the interruptions last night, or day 12 post-chemo (3 of 5 Nadir), I'm thinking I might actually need a morning nap today. I'm pretty happy that it's another beautifully sunny day. I hear it's cold outside, but I wouldn't know that from my room. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment