Thursday, September 24, 2020

First full day

 I barely slept last night and had a tough time napping today, so I'm exhausted and will go to sleep as soon as they bring my night time meds. So this post is more of bullet point list than a blog post. :)

6:30 am: I was woken up to head down for my echocardiogram. Luckily since they already had a baseline from April, it only took 15 minutes (not 45) this time.

7:30: Back to the room for vitals, ordering breakfast, discussion of meds, including whether I can take Claritin (and stop the Zyrtec) to help with bone pain from the G-CSF (Neupogen) injections. I can.

9:30: PT came in to do her initial evaluation, show me the floor and set goals.

10:30: Dr. Abedin and his team did rounds to have me sign the paperwork for the clinical trial. Still waiting on screening results before it's official. He discussed lots of things about the clinical trial, but the main things included

  • The CLAG-M is the main part of this therapy. It is a salvage chemo, which is used when people either fall out of remission or have refractory leukemia (have never truly gone into remission, which might actually better describe me) and it alone has about a 50% success rate. This trial is adding the lintuzimab to attempt to get any cells that make it through the CLAG-M, thus hopefully increasing the success rate.
  • He explained how Myelotarg is a monoclonal antibody that works by connecting to a CD33-expressing cell, injecting calcheamicin (essentially a DNA interruptor), which must make its way into the cell's DNA and reprogram it to commit suicide (apoptosis). However the lintuzimab (actually lintuzimab-Ac223) is also an antibody, but it is connected to the radioactive isotope of Actinium and once it attaches, it destroys the cell in fewer steps.
  • I am the first receiving this higher dose of lintuzimab  and so they would not be surprised if I take even longer for my blood cell counts to recover, or if they don't recover at all.
  • He defined "too long" as no recover after 40 days. Up to this point most people achieved count recovery in about four weeks.
  • I should expect fevers of unknown origin in week two.
  • If my counts are starting to recover, but not fully recovered, I might be able to go home before full recovery and complete my treatment outpatient.
  • Dr. Abedin asked if Dr. Atallah and Dr. Hamadani told me what would happen if my counts didn't recover. I said that they'd just said they "had things to do." Dr. Abedin explained that no recovery of counts means that I have no remaining donor bone marrow and so they'd need to get healthy bone marrow working. I told him that my donor was not available anymore and he said that if I didn't have any of her bone marrow left, I'd be able to accept another, different bone marrow. That could be another matched unrelated donor, or it could be a haplo-donor (sibling, parent or child).
  • Other very real risks from this procedure include kidney damage, as the lintuzimab is eliminated through the kidneys and can do damage on the way out. I've already started taking protective meds, and as I'd said earlier, on lintuzimab day (10/2), they will pump me full of IV fluids, make me drink like crazy, infuse me, and continue pumping me full of IV fluids after.
  • The last thing Dr. Abedin said is that for the study they'd be drawing an additional tube of blood to test for single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the CD33 gene which might explain why meds like the lintuzimab-AC223 or Myelotarg, which target CD33, aren't effective in some people.
After lunch, I took a nap and then OT paid me a visit. She gave me some exercises and did some baseline screenings on cognition. I was able to take the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (that test that President Trump bragged about acing—person, woman, man, camera, TV). I was horrified that I didn't score perfectly (at the end of the test I could only remember four of my own list of five words). But I passed and the other motor skills tests went better. :)

I got an in-room EKG.

4:30: My nurse came in to give me three meds--one to protect my kidneys, steroidal eye drops, and a neupogen shot. I asked if that meant I was in the trial and she said yes--Dr. Abedin had just received all my screening tests and signed off.

And now it is 10:00 pm and I have to crash. Forgive me for any typos. I'll try to fix them tomorrow.

I will finish with the address to send me cards (NOT needed, but lots have asked):

My name
Room 5
7CFAC
9200 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53226


Thank you, dear friends, and goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment