Saturday, September 26, 2020

The steroids are kicking in!

 I'll try to fill in what my past two days have been like.

I slept amazingly well my second night here (Thursday night). I still had the usual hospital interruptions but was awake just long enough to be cooperative and then fell right back asleep. I think I was in bed with the lights out for between 9-10 hours.

Yesterday morning I started the day needing platelets (down to 8K) and blood (HGB at 6.3), but was thrilled to hear that my peripheral blasts had fallen to 63% (they'd been as high as 81%), so doubling the hydroxyurea seemed to help).

I started the chemo portion of the clinical trial yesterday afternoon. About 1:30 I got pre-meds (to prevent nausea and infusion reactions; this includes the steroid that is given with some chemos--my first experience was with the AC chemo during breast cancer). About 2:00 I got the first med--the "M" in CLAG-M (mitoxantrone). This med is bright blue (see photos below). For those that knew Greg and I when we got engaged (or who have heard the story), you might be amused that Cara's response to these photos was, "did you just ask for something blue?"





About 2:30 they started the Cladribine (CL) which ran for two hours. No biggie there. I napped through part of it.

Then I had to take a two hour break. I ate dinner, played around on my phone, took a few walks in the hall.

The Cytarabine (A for Ara-C) is the real deal. It is known to cross the blood-brain barrier and cognitive issues are the first sign that there might need to be a dose decrease or to stop treatment. Cytarabine is actually the first chemo (the "7" in the 7+3 regimen) that I was given at St. Luke's in November to attempt to first achieve remission. But this is a stronger dose and not given 24 hours a day, so more intense. I started protective prednisolone eye drops and take them twice a day to hopefully prevent vision problems. And every night before giving me the Cytarabine, I do a bunch of cognitive function test. I need to write my name on a page that tracks my handwriting. I need to say the current date, approximate time and where I am. I have to do strength tests (squeezing nurse's fingers, pushing and pulling with my feet and arms, rapid back-and-forth motions with my hands, tracing a pen with my eyes, and touching a pen, then my nose, using both hands and as the pen is moved).

I haven't had any terrible side effects from this chemo yet. The "worst" is my reaction to the G (GCSF) injections. I have swollen up terribly at the sites where the injection was given. It's thought that because I lost so much weight (and the injection goes into the fat), it's going more into just skin and that's causing the swelling. We tried my butt cheek tonight (instead of my belly) so maybe that'll help.

Last night I fell asleep pretty well after my 9:00 meds. My nurse said the Cytarabine would be done about 11:30 and she'd sneak in, turn it off, do my midnight vitals and labs and let me sleep a bigger chunk. I woke up with a start at 10:30 and couldn't fall back asleep. I felt clammy but not necessarily cold or chilled. Even after the midnight vitals (no fever, despite the clamminess) and labs, I just tossed and turned, and heard all the sirens coming, and got chilled and then overheated, and let my mind race where I talked myself into every symptom being a sign that this regimen was not working and it was my last chance. My heart was pounding and when I tried to pick up my phone to play mindless games, my vision wouldn't focus and I just KNEW that meant that I'd have to stop this treatment. And then from some depths of my brain, I remembered that I'd had steroids earlier in the day. When the nurse rounded for 4:00 am vitals, I asked if my symptoms were possibly from the steroids and she said, "oh, yeah--you developed the ‘roid rage!" Just hearing that made me relax and I was able to sleep for about three hours before getting up for 8:00 am vitals.

The doctors rounded pretty early today. 

Dr. Murthy came and said that my total bilirubin levels have been increasing and they wanted to run some additional labs. The total bili level can be broken down into direct bili and indirect bili. If indirect, it's likely caused by red blood cells breaking down (chemo trashes blood cells and we'd upped the hydroxyurea). But if direct, it indicates an issue with the liver--potentially a blockage of some sort, which can indicate veno-occlusive disease (VOD)--a much bigger deal. VOD is a known risk after taking Myelotarg, and also after having a stem cell transplant. Rates of this happening are still only about 20%, and I don't have any of the other risk factors (history of alcoholism, prior hepatitis infection, prior liver radiation), but it's still a concern. They ran labs on the breakdown of direct/indirect bili. If direct is elevated, the next step would be a liver ultrasound. More waiting and more potential tests... 

Before he left, I asked if I could get a prescription for something, if needed, to allow me to sleep at night with the steroids kicking in. I asked for Ativan, since that had worked at St. Luke's. Best of all, it's as-needed, and fast-acting, so I don't have to take it unless I need it.

I was surprised when Dr. Hamadani popped his head in the room. I didn't even know that he did hospital visits! He said he was excited about this clinical trial and he'd hoped I'd gotten into it the last round when they were accepting patients. He said if I go into complete remission with no MRD, and count recovery, the plan is to just watch and wait. He said he'd preferably give me a donor lymphocyte infusion (DLI), but since my donor isn't available, that's not an option. If I get into remission, but counts don't recover, the plan would be another bone marrow transplant from a different donor. He said it takes awhile to get a Be The Match search launched, so he would start it now "just in case" and not to be surprised if paperwork came in from my insurance to approve the second transplant. I asked about the haplo donor that Dr. Murthy had mentioned and he said his preference would be another perfectly matched unrelated donor from the registry. I said something about there being other matched donors internationally when I had my transplant, but with COVID they went with the domestic donor, so I wondered if they'd opened it up to international again. He said that they had and that he preferred European donors (I think because culturally it's so much more normal there!).

The hem/onc fellow came in about 10:45  to tell me that my direct bilirubin IS elevated and that they wanted to repeat the test to see if by chance it's on its way down. If not, they'll want an ultrasound. She said it's possible that I had a gallstone briefly blocking things and it may have already passed, or maybe if they find one, they can scope it out. 

Two hours later she came back to tell me that the latest test showed that my bili numbers went down. They don't see the need for an ultrasound yet, but they'll keep watching my numbers and if they tick up again, I'll get that ultrasound! (C'mon bilirubin!)

And then I started round two of CLAG-M. That's where I am now--with about three hours left in the A part.

I'd mentioned that I was struggling drinking enough as water didn't taste great and that very few of the beverages on the hospital menu that were appealing. My nurse asked if I wanted a little fridge in my room to bring stuff from home. Heck, yeah! So here's my fridge.

I then got greedy and asked if I could bring a little microwave in (a friend offered one). But I can't have "heat-producing items" in the room (so I assume that means no crockpots or electric kettles or hot plates, either). But I now have good Gatorade flavors and string cheese in my room!

And I was able to take pictures out of my window for those who asked how to visit and wave to me. I'm not sure if you can see anything in my window from the road, but if you text me and I'm in my room, I can stand in the window and others have been able to see me. :) I'm on the fifth floor. I'm on the south side of Froedtert (where the ponds are) off of Doyne Ave.



Thank you all for your continued well-wishes. I'm going to ride the steroid high (energy and increased food intake!) for at least a few days. I'm sure I'll do quite a crash by mid-week next week, just in time for the experimental part of the treatment on Friday. Love to you all!




3 comments:

  1. Sending positive thoughts and lots of love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you are able to write these incredibly detailed and insightful updates with everything going on there and the various meds going through your system, but I am appreciative of every word and know you are getting the very best medical care. Glad I have your fridge and can stock it with your favorite beverages. What else do you like we can give to Greg to put in there? Keep on being your amazing self, advocating for What you need and asking questions. Will await good news!

    ReplyDelete