Saturday, July 25, 2015

Life after chemo

It's taken about a week to compose this blog post in my head.  At least part of that has been the hope that things would get better before I wrote...


There is definitely some good.  I had a wonderful visit with my college (undergrad) roommate Cheryl.  She stocked my fridge and freezer and talked to me not only about cancer, but about not-cancer!  She got me excited about the possibilities of work in the future and maybe (just maybe) some academic/research collaboration.  It was just what I needed!



~~~~~

And my friend Jim sent me the coolest book, which I am looking forward to reading, for inspiration:

~~~~~

My hair is coming in for real now, and it's been hot enough in Milwaukee that I stopped wearing head coverings.  It's not a particularly attractive look, but I've been assured that I have a "nicely shaped" head and (like I said) it's too hot to care that much!




~~~~~

So now it's been ten days since my last chemo.  Mentally, I'm doing GREAT!  I feel that I have more energy and my brain just seems to be working better.  My life had become post-it notes and iPhone memos to myself to remember the simplest things, and it seems like at least some of that part of my memory is coming back to me.  Besides, the knowledge that I no longer have weekly poison coursing through my veins is pretty cool.  :)

But the peripheral neuropathy is bad.  I can handle the numbness and tingling in my fingers and hands--I've learned to be more careful when chopping vegetables!  But my feet are awful.  I know that exercise is good, and I was proud of myself for walking two miles, but each time I've walked very much, I've been up half that night in pain.  I don't know what to do to make it better!  Dr. Shah said she could prescribe medication to help (Lyrica), but I'd rather see if it improves on its own.  I have noticed that it seems to have progressed from pure numbness to pinprick pain, so maybe that's a good sign (?).  I wish I knew whether it was better to keep walking/exercising so as to push through the pain or if it's better to just rest.  I guess I'm pretty happy I have essentially a desk job now.  I could not be doing home visits very easily.  So if any of you have been through this and have tips or advice, I'd really appreciate it!  I know it's not even two weeks, so I need to give it time. Anyone know how much time?  LOL

On the other hand, OT seems to be helping with the cording again.  My range of motion is almost back to normal and the cording itself is much decreased.  I can tell I've lost strength in my arms, so am thinking of getting some small barbells to work on that--something I could do while sitting down.

And it's time to start the weight loss/healthy eating plan again!  My dear friend Susan is going to do "Lose It!" with me and we'll encourage each other.  (If any of you are on and want to join in with the encouragement pact, I'm there with the email loria (at) kjsl (dot) com).  I'm going to try Aqua Zumba with my friend Darcy, too, hoping it will be more gentle on my feet.  And I'm still considering yoga, but am a bit overwhelmed with all the possible levels (and my complete lack of balance and tone).  Still, I have high hopes that I'll be in much better shape by the first of the year--that's how long I'm giving myself to shape up!

1 comment:

  1. On mantra in yoga is to "strive", as reasonable people know not all is possible by all. You've got the strive part down, Lori!😌

    ReplyDelete