Saturday, May 23, 2020

Day +18 Home Sweet Home

Today didn't start out like I'd hoped. Or actually it kind of did, but by 5:00 am it had changed.

When I get labs drawn, the WBC, PLT and HGB result within half an hour, but the ANC are hand-counted, so take longer. So what I learned is that my WBC, PLT and HGB all went up! I was given blood because outpatient thresholds for transfusions are higher (since you're not going to have labs drawn every day). I also needed magnesium again. But it seemed everything was good to go. And then the ANC results came in. Remember that discharge meant I had to have over 0.50 for two days in a row. I'd been increasing each day and yesterday was 0.55. Today was 0.46.

No one could tell me what that meant, all deferring to Dr. Pasquini, but everyone said that I might have to prepare for another night in the hospital.

Finally at 9:30 Dr. Pasquini came to see me and gave me two possibilities: Stay in the hospital one more day to ensure this was just a blip and that my counts rebound and get discharged tomorrow, or get a neupogen shot (to boost blood cell production), go home, come back tomorrow morning for labs and possible transfusions and infusions, and potential re-admission.

I won't say much about how crushed I was or how hard it was to decide, but in the end, I decided that even if I was only home for a day, my brain needed to get out of the hospital room.

So I got the neupogen (which will cause some bone pain), got some extra meds (since I'm technically neutropenic again I need more protective meds), and busted out of the hospital.

You guys--do you know how much things have changed in the 25 days I was in the hospital? There were just the smallest beginnings of buds on the trees and now everything is green and blooming! It was mind-blowing to see the difference on the drive home.

I cannot thank you all enough for all of your support and encouragement while I was hospitalized. The cards and gifts and artwork and text messages and Facebook comments and Zoom sessions and photos in #ride4lori and purple t-shirts... Although I wasn't able to see anyone close to me that whole time, I didn't feel disconnected because I was physically and emotionally surrounded by all of you. I wish I could explain how much it helped.

I would be naive to think that this is all over, because there's a lot of healing ahead of me, and a lot of scary possibilities still. But this was one huge hurdle and I'm over it.

There is nothing sweeter than fresh air--even through a surgical mask


2 comments:

  1. You are home. Everything is right in the world today with this news. I can't even imagine how good it must feel to be outside and to be in YOUR home with YOUR family. I cannot believe how well you have weathered all of this adversity; let's hope the worst, worst is behind you and the road ahead, albeit bumpy, but leading to complete remission. One of your many loyal fans and admirers, Ellyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the seasonal change. I missed a fall that way- it’s a bit surreal isn’t it. Like you think it’s all about you but the world keeps turning and revolving despite our efforts to make time and movement wait ...
    welcome to SPRING Lori! New life!
    I hoe you can come back home tomorrow❤️

    ReplyDelete