Thursday, October 8, 2020

Baby steps up

Not much has changed since yesterday, and a few little things have been added--namely I also have a bacterial (strep) infection in my blood which has caused fevers today. But I got so much "good" news today that I wanted to share.

All tests looking for fungal infections other places in my body have shown no sign of fungal infection! That includes:
Sinus CT
Echocardiogram
Chest CT
Abdominal CT
Third (and final) nasal scoping

It doesn't mean that there isn't more Fusarium somewhere, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious hidden site. That means less to clear when and if I get functioning neutrophils, which is good.

But the biggest news is that during rounds I was told that they have secured a donor to do a granulocyte transfusion! I don't know many details, and they are very rarely done, so the nurses and many of the APPs haven't seen one, but theoretically at least (since I haven't heard anything definitive), I will start receiving what is essentially a "neutrophil transplant" tomorrow. As mentioned earlier, they aren't always effective, and there can be icky side effects, but this offers me a chance to fight off the fungal infection and allow my counts to recover. 

This is possible because someone matched me, was contacted by Versiti, and agreed to come in today to receive a neupogen shot and steroids, then to return each of the next three days to donate their granulocytes (similar to a platelet donation or double reds where needles are in both arms and the blood cycles through a machine to separate parts out). Wow. They received a call today with a 4-day commitment and agreed to it. I am blown away.

I'll try to share more details as I know them, and since I haven't actually heard a fully laid-out plan, I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but I am excited. 



And thank you all for your Facebook replies, blog comments, personal messages and texts yesterday. I cried a lot last night, but they were happy tears as I reminisced with so many of you. Thank you for such a wonderful gift. And thanks to those who have driven past and waved to me in the window. Today my visitors were announced by the roar of two Harleys. I told the ID doctor that was my cue and I had to get to the window. So wonderful to see your faces, even from far away. 


I continue to feel so unbelievably surrounded by love. Thank you for the best feeling, as I drift off to sleep, still visualizing my new marrow making neutrophils.

8 comments:

  1. Such good news. Praying , sending good vibes, love and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lighting a candle each day for you, and sending you love and light all the time. Love you Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reflection on dying yesterday landed hard. I can only imagine how it landed on you. I want you to know that you are the bravest fighter I know. I am so awed by your support system and diligent care givers. Keep fighting; we'll all send the force of gazillions your way. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears of hope today!! This is wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Sending you so much love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such wonderful and encouraging news! Wow!!! We will continue praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news about the fungus and the granulocytes! Let's get rid of that strep. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lori! Glad to read 10/8 after reading 10/7! Sending you my very best thoughts and prayers. You will get through this. You have a lot to live for. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete