Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Thank you, and some thoughts about Lori

First off, I want to thank everyone for all of the kind words you have written about Lori on Facebook and/or said to me and the kids. It means a lot to us to know that other people loved and admired her as much as we did. Further thanks to the many of you who attend her drive-through visitation last Saturday. We are so glad you could share that day with us, despite the pandemic.

An obituary for Lori has been posted here. Feel free to share it with whomever you think might be interested.


I'm going to get a bit reflective (and probably wordy) below, so if that's not your cup of tea, no offense taken.  Just click over to the obituary. No need to sift through my ramblings.

 


When Lori’s parents, who were lovely people, passed away, I consciously tried to take something that I had seen them doing, in terms of living a good life, and incorporate it into my own life. From my father-in-law, for example, it is helping people build or fix things. Though I lack his skill (serious understatement), I try to lend a hand (or at least loan people tools) when possible because this is something Dick Kangas did for me, and dozens of other people, throughout his life. He was right. Helping other people build things or put things back together is a satisfying way to spend an afternoon.


From my mother-in-law, Nadya, I learned to become more open to having conversations with strangers. This was actually one of her favorite things. She loved taking the train places, for example, because it let her spend lots of time talking to new and different people.  This is not something I normally would have done in the past, but I try to do it a bit more now. Most of the time these brief exchanges leave me happier than I was before.


So, over the past week, I have been thinking of all of the things I have learned from Lori and all of the ways she has made me a better person. It's a long list. Obviously, I learned a ton of practical things from her. Most of what I know about cooking, for example, I learned from her. We figured out a lot of parenting and home-owner stuff together. That was all super valuable, of course, but I've been thinking more about the things I've learned from her that go beyond the day-to-day.


Here are some of the things I hope to carry with me, gleaned from over three decades of knowing and loving Lori:


Take the time to do things the right way.  If you notice you dropped a stitch, rip the project back to the error and start again. If you are planning a lesson, think carefully about all of the questions the students might ask and make sure you have an answer at the ready. If you are cooking a meal you've never cooked before, instead of just grabbing a recipe at random, Google at least three recipes and steal the best bit of each. When you are exhausted from a home-improvement project (or a doctoral dissertation) and are ready to call it quits, gather yourself and soldier on. You'll feel good knowing you've done it right.


Keep trying new things. If someone offers you a chance to try something that they love doing, give it a whirl, even if you aren't 100% sure you will like it. You might, for example, discover at age 47 that you absolutely love bicycling. You probably won't like all the things you try (open-water swimming, for instance), but even then you may well meet some really nice people along the way.


Make things and give them away. Ok, maybe we can't all knit a pair of socks (witchcraft, I say!), but there's probably something you can make.  Maybe there's a meal you can cook really well or a special dessert you can bake.  Maybe you can write things or grow vegetables. You get the picture. Whatever it is, make that thing and then share it with others. 


If someone offers you a chance to hold a baby, hold the baby. If possible, see if it will wrap its tiny hand around one of your fingers. Then just sit quietly in a comfortable chair with it and let your pulse slow down. Watch it sleep in your arms and think about its combination of strength and fragility. Ponder everything it could become. You will smile for the next hour.


Never stop learning, and teach other people what you know. View every challenge as an opportunity to become an expert about something. Look things up. Read all you can find. Talk to the experts. Turn things over in your mind to make sure you fully understand it. If not, keep reading and asking questions until you do.  If the evidence you have found suggests you should change your mind, change it.  Then, if other people would benefit from that knowledge, share it freely. Be a reliable resource.


Don't expect the universe to be fair or to take care of you; realize we need to take care of each other.  It doesn't matter that you never smoked, rarely drank, ate healthy, and exercised regularly. You might still get cancer. And then when you face that cancer with dignity and determination and go out of your way to help others do the same, the cancer still might come back in an even more hostile and aggressive form, too powerful this time for even the bravest patient and the best doctors. This might seem bleak and depressing and awful at first, but it's really not, so don't dwell on the injustice of it. What this indifferent universe forces us to do is rely on each other to get through. If the universe always took care of us, we could just coast along, thoughtlessly. Because the universe won't take care of us, we must find communities to love and support us (and to love and support right back), and it turns out those relationships are what gives life meaning. So, in the end, it's ok.


Live an authentic life. Even though you may not have ever studied existentialism, live a life so authentic that you end it with absolutely no regrets. Do the things that make you happy. Spend time with the people you love.  Figure out what's meaningful to you and focus your energies there.  The process of figuring out what these things are can be anxiety-producing, so get help with that if you need it. It's always ok to ask for the help you need. The path you follow probably won't be the exact same life that others would live, and that's ok. That's the point, really. 


These are the things I've been thinking about this week, and I'm sure I'll think of a half dozen more next week.  I plan to spend the rest of my life trying to be a little more like Lori, because I'm pretty sure that will make me a better and happier person. I encourage you all to do the same.


18 comments:

  1. Greg, I have been thinking - earlier this year, Lori asked for advice about making a T-shirt quilt. I'm guessing that didn't happen. Under the category of "make things and give them away," I'd like to offer to make at least small T-shirt quilts for you and the kids, if that's something you'd like. I have some experience with T-shirt quilts, and lots of experience with quilts and would be happy to donate my time and materials. Let me know if you're interested. Blessings to you all. Maureen Supple

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What eloquent reflections that remind us that you and Lori shared a gift of writing that is heart-felt and memorable. It is so incredible that already you can see ways you will incorporate Lori and her family's ways of being into your own. Thank you for sharing this on behalf of all of your close friends who are trying to give you space but want to envelop you in hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m crying as I read this. It is beautiful. I am (we are) forever grateful to have skimmed across the surface of the Sofa King and Queen’s life. Honestly you are both such amazing people. PeteL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful reflections Greg. Thank you for sharing. Lori's influence on others will carry on forever. WWLD and #ThisisPublicHealth. Hopefully we will all be inspired by something Lori taught us, from big to small life lessons all vitally important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful, Greg. Thank you for sharing your Lori with us APMOMS for 25 years. I will live the rest of my life trying to be a little more like her. In fact I may print this and keep it where I can always be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing that with us! I truly appreciate your thoughts! Hugs and prayers to you and your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greg, that was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. What a fitting tribute to an amazing treasure of a human being. The world is a better place for the 50 years we had Lori here...and a sadder place without her.

    Lori was such an important part of our APMOMS circle. How fortunate we all were to know her...for half of her life!

    Cecilia
    Love to you and Cara, Travis, and Ash. ♥️

    Keep writing. πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for writing this This is beautiful. If you need anything, please reach out.
    Love to all of you.
    Eddy Joylyn Souter

    ReplyDelete
  10. You (and Lori) are so wise and eloquent and you encapsulated so well what Lori has taught us. I am so grateful and impressed that you could take time in your grief to share what was so lovable and inspirational about your beautiful wife.
    I have loved and admired her since I met her in apmoms 25 years ago and our little girls were babies.

    With all my love to you and Cara, Travis, and Ash
    Pauline ( in Sydney)❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see her so clearly in what you’ve written, Greg. This was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Greg, for your beautiful and inspiring words. I'm another APMoms friend, who only met Lori in person once many years ago. We all loved her and miss her. Our lives were made so much better for knowing her, and your words will be an inspiration for the future to honor her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greg, this is heartwarming and heartbreaking all in one – iwhile it amplifies how great a loss you, your kids, and everyone Lori touched (and then some) have to suffer with, it also proves that an individual can make a real difference in the world.

    Over these past months while following her battle, I've been remembering all the times I spent with Lori, and the time I keep going back to is a day up in Hurley, decades ago, when Lori sat me down and, in an attempt to fill an embarrassingly gaping hole in my music collection, she made me a Prince mix tape while carrying on a running commentary about why she loved everything she was putting on it.

    I was a closed-minded fool back then, and her nonchalant generosity, knowledge, and openness taught me so much that day – about music, about being kind, and about not being afraid to expand your horizons.

    It may seem inconsequential, but at the time it was monumental for me – particularly having grown up amongst so much prejudice in my family, my schools, and my city, at that young age I was terrified to let myself appreciate a gender-bending black artist for fear that it might offend the other ignorant white people in my life. That afternoon, Lori taught me to rip off the blinders I’d let myself wear for far too long and to start to let myself enjoy life a whole lot more, and I’ve never forgotten it.

    Much love to you, Cara, Travis, and Ash.

    (John K)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greg-In these times of great uncertainty and grief your reflections of Lori express how deeply she loved, and was loved. You, Cara, Travis and Ash continue to refract and reflect the eternal gifts Lori was and is to each life she touchedπŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—. We love you

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much talent in one family. You are a wonderful writer, Greg. Thank you for sharing this reflection; you and Lori were made to be teachers. Wishing you and your family peace and comfort in your memories of and lessons learned from
    Lori. πŸ’•

    Joslyn Hegelmeyer
    Co-member of the Prince Fan Club

    ReplyDelete