Friday, March 20, 2015

Hair today. Gone tomorrow?

Although I'd heard from "everyone" that your hair starts to fall out right after your second chemo infusion, it hadn't really dawned on me until Tuesday that this week was my second infusion!  So I spent some time looking up YouTube videos on how to tie headscarves, and practiced with what I had.  I then went shopping and picked up a few more scarves that I think will work better than the ones I already owned (yay for end-of-season clearance sales and mall gift cards!).  At chemo, one of the nurses also shared a basket of homemade hats that were donated.  Most were knit or crocheted, but there was a cute scarf-like one that I took to try out.  She also told me to really consider getting a wig "if I want to go out to dinner or something."  Not sure how I should take that--am I not expected to wear a scarf or go bald in public?

Anyway, when I started to think about it, I realized that for the last week, my hair had stopped growing (yay for not shaving!).  And then when I looked closer, I realized that my body hair was falling out and my arms and legs were much smoother.  But still not the hair on my head.  I know it's only a matter of time, though, as the stray gray hairs on my head are getting much easier to pull out. So this might be my last selfie with hair for awhile.


I noticed on Tuesday that I was beginning to get a cold.  Because I'm taking Claritin to counteract the bone aches due to Neulasta, I knew it wasn't allergies.  So I really don't know if the yuckiness I'm feeling is chemo-related or cold-related.  Probably a little of each.  I definitely feel a lot fuzzier and foggier in the head.  Again, not sure if it's lack of sleep (didn't sleep much last night) or chemo stuff, but I'm slow to process things and find the words I need.  I couldn't think of Joss Whedon's name yesterday!  

I am happy with my chemo schedule--choosing to have treatments on Wednesdays and work only half a day on Friday, and then have the weekend to recover has been a great fit so far.  Here's hoping I have enough energy to run again this weekend, as the weather should be pretty nice again.

No comments:

Post a Comment