Monday, February 9, 2015

One month out and one step backwards

Yesterday was my one month post-surgery anniversary.  What a difference a month makes! I feel like I'm healing very well (more on the professional interpretation of "healing" later), and my energy level is pretty good.  I can (briefly) lie on either side for exercises or snuggling ;) and with the exception of raising my right elbow above my shoulder, my ROM is great.  

So I was very excited to officially leave the first step in my healing journey (the surgery) and move onto the second step (chemo) this week.  I met with Dr. Sterkin today, scheduled to have him remove the steri-strips and do my first real enlargement.  Unfortunately, when he removed the steri-strips, the scar on my left side had popped open in the middle, and had formed a tunnel.  Since the body has a hard time healing during chemo, a person has to be completely healed before starting infusions.  I'm no longer "healed," so no chemo this week.  Furthermore, given my high number of positive lymph nodes, the sooner I can start chemo, the better, so instead of taking the time to let my body heal itself, Dr. Sterkin wants to schedule surgery to clean the edges of the scar and stitch it back together.  To add insult to injury, not only did I not get expanded, he actually TOOK OUT some saline (to aid in the healing).

I'm disappointed, but I do stick by my mantra of everything happening for a reason (even if I don't yet know what the reason is).  Maybe something wonderful will happen in the next couple weeks that wouldn't have been possible (or would have been more difficult) if I were currently doing chemo.  Ooooh....just remembered that I had wanted to get Ethiopian food once more before starting chemo.  This opens that up!

Still, as anniversaries go, this isn't so bad.  Here's to a LOT more cancerversaries (that's what all the cancer sites call them).



~~~~~~~~

And speaking of anniversaries, we went out last night to celebrate my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary.  I am so very fortunate to have married into such a wonderful, warm, loving, and humorous family.  I especially appreciate my mother-in-law, who is an amazingly good sport about being teased.  She grew up with nine brothers, so really should be given a respite from the teasing, and yet none of us do.  Love you, Mom & Dad--and happy 50th!

Greg & I, all fancy and stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment