Thursday, February 19, 2015

Surgery #2

Yesterday I had a minor surgery (debridement) to repair the incision on my left breast that had come open post-mastectomy.  I was thrilled that this surgery could be done with only local anesthesia, and was slightly amused to have a surgical nurse call me earlier in the day to tell me that the anesthesiologist wanted to make sure that I knew he was willing to put me into "twilight sleep" so I wouldn't have to remember the surgery.  I assured her that local anesthesia would be just fine.




This surgical experience was very different from the mastectomy, and I found it strangely interesting to be able to hear the surgical team working.  (There was a drape up so I wasn't able to watch.)  I felt pressure and tugging, and could mostly make out what was going on.  I was also able to see the whiteboard that listed all instruments and sponges used during surgery--and listened as all were accounted for afterwards.  :)

I think I've mentioned before that the plastic surgeon used what's called the "Box-To-X" incision for my mastectomy.  The scar left forms an "X" and on my left breast, the very middle of the "X" popped open.  The plan was to clean the edges and stitch it back up so it would heal and I could get on with the rest of my therapy (chemo and radiation).  As seems to happen to me all too frequently, it wasn't quite that simple.  After debriding (cleaning) the small wound, the skin was too tight to close, so the incision needed to be re-opened and extended along one of the "X" bars to get the skin to close, and to avoid puckering.  So two opposite sides of the "X" are now much longer than the other two sides.  Dr. Sterkin was somewhat apologetic about that, but I really don't care that much about the appearance--I'm just hoping that it heals well this time.

Other than being kinda bruised, I really feel amazingly well.  It was worth the strangeness of being awake through surgery to not have to deal with post-anesthesia effects.  

Lucky me, I get to be back on the stinky sulfa drugs (antibiotics) for another week.  AND apparently sulfa drugs + alcohol = nausea, so I guess I won't be going out for a drink this weekend.  <sigh>

~~~~~

One more thing:  Despite the temps being below zero, I did make it out for Night Knitting tonight and got started on Hitchhiker, which "everyone" seems to be knitting.  It's a fun, easy pattern that I'm enjoying so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment