Friday, January 30, 2015

Therapy

Yesterday was my occupational therapy (OT) evaluation appointment.  Even though I was a pre-Physical Therapy (PT) major for awhile as an undergrad, I have to say that I'm not exactly sure the difference between PTs and OTs.  And I had thought I was going to see a PT, but I am, in fact, seeing an OT.  And she is also wonderful.

One of my fears with all of the treatments I'm going through is lymphedema.  Every treatment (surgery, axillary lymph node removal, chemo, radiation) increases the likelihood of its occurrence, and since I get the full package, that's a lot of risk factors!  There's not a lot known about exactly what causes lymphedema or even fully how to prevent it, and there's no cure, so the best "treatment" is to catch it early and maintain it at an early level.  So I have some exercises to try to prevent it, and to treat another, related side-effect that I do have--cording.  I think the cording was responsible for much of the sensitivity I've been complaining about.  I got a great handout on preventing it, and how to best ease into movements after surgery from the therapist.  Sure wish they made it a part of the pre-surgical information they gave me! 

I have been babying my arms and movements so much the last three weeks that I was pleasantly surprised at how much I am now allowed to move--and how much I was actually able to move.  I think I might have overdone it a bit, though, as I'm pretty sore today!  Still, I was almost able to lie on my side in bed last night, although only for a little while.

~~~~~~~

Other big events in the last two days include attending TWO knitting groups (the daytime one and the nighttime one that I'd been trying to start since last summer), being out of the house for a 6 1/2 hour stretch without flopping from exhaustion, doing a little house cleaning, and putting a camisole on over my head (as opposed to stepping into it)!  That and continued socializing and Buffy watching.  The back of the recovery cardigan is done, as are the pockets:



The kids have busy weekends (Congress, Forensics, birthday party, Girl Scouts, work...) and Greg's out of town tomorrow and we're having some friends over for the Super Bowl so I have to figure out what to make.  All good things keeping me busy--very good things!

1 comment:

  1. Lori-So thankful you are progressing well and keeping your spirits up by engaging in such positive activities. Yea for family, friends and knitting. I have leaned so much through your blog posts, and honor you with your courage and insight. I think and pray for you often💖HUGS, 😍k

    ReplyDelete